Posted on Thursday, 22 Mar 2018
The Toyota Cheetahs will be pushing for a Final Series place which makes the encounter with the Dragons on Friday evening at 21:35 SA time, at Rodney Parade in Wales (Live broadcast on SuperSport 1 and BBC Wales) a crucial one.
The Toyota Cheetahs are in need of adding to their recent win over Connacht in order to keep their Final Series challenge in good health. Dragons, however, will be eager to rebound from their recent loss to the Southern Kings.
This will be the Toyota Cheetahs’ first encounter with the Dragons.
“We’ve matured a lot as a side and our focus will be on what we need to do. We’ve have grown tremendously playing in European conditions,” said Captain Francois Venter. “The biggest lesson we’ve learned in Guinness PRO14 is to have control over the moment and to make a positive out of a negative on field.”
Coach Rory Duncan has announced his team with some changes from last week:
• William Small-Smith is back in action after injury. He will be replacing Craig Barry who was on loan from the Stormers.
• Niel Marais moves to inside centre, replacing the injured Nico Lee.
• Rabz Maxwano moves to the starting line-up to replace Luther Obi who sustained an injury in the previous match.
• Fred Zeilinga will be the starting fly half.
• Zee Mkhabela moves to the bench with Tian Meyer as the starting scrum half
• Oupa Mohoje will be wearing the number 7 jersey with Henco Venter providing cover on the bench.
• New to the bench: Carl Wegner, Clinton Swart and AJ Coertzen
The following players are not eligible for team selection due to injury:
Dennis Visser (knee), Niell Jordaan (ankle), Elandré Huggett (knee) Ruan van Rensburg, (hand), Luan de Bruin, Shaun Venter (groin), Malcolm Jaer (hand), Nico Lee (ankle), Luther Obi (knee).
Dragons vs Toyota Cheetahs
23 March 2018. Kick-off: 21:35 (SA Time)
Rodney Parade, Newport
15 Clayton Blommetjies
14 William Small-Smith
13 Francois Venter ( C)
12 Niel Marais
11 Sibhale Maxano
10 Fred Zeilinga
9 Tian Meyer
1 Ox Nche
2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
3 Johan Coetzee
4 Justin Basson
5 Reniel Hugo
6 Paul Schoeman
7 Oupa Mohoje
8 Uzair Cassiem
16 Jacques du Toit
17 Charles Marais
18 Tom Botha
19 Carl Wegner
20 Henco Venter
21 Zee Mkhabela
22 Clinton Swart
23 AJ Coertzen
The referee for the match is Nigel Owens. He will be assisted by Ben Whitehouse and Mike English. The TMO is Jon Mason.