Posted on Thursday, 05 Feb 2018
Free State Rugby u.19 League
Free State Rugby is excited to announce that a new u.19 league will be kicking off in Bloemfontein this week. The aim of the league is to identify and retain new and local talent.
“Too many players with potential stop playing rugby after school and are lost for the region. With the u.19 league, Free State Rugby aims to feed and strengthen professional and club rugby from junior levels up,” said Franco Smith, the Director of Rugby at the Free State Cheetahs (Pty) Ltd. “Free State Rugby are seen as the breeding ground of talent and opportunity.”
The Free State has always been seen as a natural source of rugby talent and Free State Rugby wants to ensure that players that recently matriculated are given an opportunity to make their rugby dreams come true.
Teams participating in the league:
• Bloemfontein Invitational team (consisting of players from CUTII and Bloemfontein Academy, coached by Hendrik Ras and coordinated by Skillie Bester)
• Free State Invitational team (consisting of all the clubs in Bloemfontein and the Toyota Cheetah Academy, coached by Jan du Toit, Bobby Joubert and Carel Bester and coordinated by Bertram Johnson)
• UVI (coached by Rasheed Isaacs and Justin Pappin, Isaacs is the coordinator)
• UVII (coached by Rasheed Isaacs and Justin Pappin, Isaacs is the coordinator)
• CUT (coached by Rynhardt Erwee and coordinated by Skillie Bester)
• Grey College (coached and coordinated by Wessel du Plessis)
The league will be played over six weeks starting on Friday, 9 February and ending on the 10th of March. There will not be a final match. On the 10th of March, the teams will play against first and second, third and fourth and fifth and sixth respectively in that sequence.
Matches on the 9th of February will be kicking off at 15:30 and played at Grey College.
To encourage attractive and running rugby, a rule will be enforced were only a forward will be allowed to kick at goal (penalty or conversion).
There will be a festive atmosphere at the games and everyone is welcome to join in the fun.
Contact Selvyn Colby at 051 407 1700 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
9 Feb - Grey College
Grey vs CUT
UV I vs UVII (postponed)
FS vs BFN
16 Feb - CUT
UV II vs BFN
FS vs CUT
Grey vs UVI
21 Feb - Grey College
Grey vs FS
BFN UV1 CUT vs UVII
26 Feb - UV
Grey vs BFN
UVI vs CUT
FS vs UV II
3 March - Toyota Stadium
Grey vs UVII
UV I vs FS
CUT vs BFN
10 March - CUT
1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6